Monday, March 19, 2012

Down to 16

Who saw that coming?? Actually, I did...kind of. I was going for coffee with A buddy from work on Friday and we were chatting about the tournament and he was saying that there hadn't been any big upsets. Sure Wichita State loosing to VCU by the numbers was an upset but really you had to know that VCU was going to win that one. I remember saying that day one is typically quiet but day two should have some good upsets.

Little did I know that brackets would be ravaged by a phenomenon that hasn't occurred in the past 11 years, a 15 seed beat a 2 seed in the round of 64. And it didn't happen just once but twice on the same day!

My beloved Blue Devils (they're my team for three weeks at the end of March, the rest of the year I could care less) lost to Lehigh. Only Elaina was discerning enough to see the chinks in Dukes armor and put Lehigh through.

If that wasn't enough then Missouri went and lost to Norfolk State. Now I don't mean to continue to toot my own horn but I totally called that one! I would direct your attention to my e-mail dated Monday, March 12, 2012. where my closing remarks were, and I quote, "GO NORFOLK STATE!". Unfortunately I did not take my own advice and put Mizzou through the the Sweet 16.
The weekend saw mostly expected outcomes with the 4 top seeds all advancing. The only real surprise of the weekend came when Cincinnati continued to roll with the win over #3 Florida State.

So the Sweet 16 sets up like this
Kentucky v. Indiana
Baylor v. Xavier
Michigan State v. Louisville
Marquette v. Florida
Syracuse v. Wisconsin
Cincinnati v. Ohio State
North Carolina v. Ohio
NC State v. Kansas

The gap in the standings of our challenge has transformed into a chasm over this past weekend. Jim is leading the way with 34 points, Dan and myself are one back with Meghan and Pete one further back at 32. Jeff comes in at 31 points with Matt and Andrew nipping at his heels with 30 correct. Elaina riding on Lehighs coat tails sits tied with Sam and Jason at 28. Al and Dick remain in contention with 27 points.

We also had our first casualty of the bracket challenge. Once again Mark will be winning our Heart of a Champion award (I just made that up but I think it will be a staple going forward). This award is given to the individual who makes their picks with their heart, ignoring logic and reason no matter what. With A current total of 26 points and a maximum possible point total of 29, Mark has won the very prestigious award this year after sharing it selflessly with Kelly Last year.

Only three more days until games start up again.

GO LOUISVILLE!

0 comments:

Post a Comment